To add an element of unpredictability and keep the RP interesting even at slower times, the staff has long had the goal to implement a global event system. These events would be random and of a varying severity and can have either positive or negative effects. As a bonus the people affected by an event will receive the full 5 points for that play round. The event system will work as follows.
Each 1st of the month the staff will do a roll. A score from 1 to 40 will cause a tier 1 event, A score from 41 to 70 will cause a tier 2 event, a score from 71 to 90 will cause a tier 3 event, a score from 91 to 99 will cause a tier 4 event and a score of 100 will cause a tier 5 event. Depending on the tier, another roll will then be done to determine the country or continent affected. A final roll is done to choose the specific event. A negative event will only have narrative (story consequences), a positive event will provide an actual bonus. Tier 5 events only have negative outcomes.
Tier 1 event: These events will affect only a single entity and are the lightest of events.
- A particularly notorious criminal organization has suddenly gone a lot more active. After performing a massive crime in the capital, the population demands immediate action from the government.
- Dissatisfaction with labour conditions in a specific workplace has caused a strike by the local and surrounding workers. The strike tends to hurt the economic development of the entity.
- An expeditionary team has uncovered a new source of an important resource. Exploitation of the new find will prove a serious boon to the economy [+2 points on the next roll].
Tier 2 event: These events will affect only a single entity but are decidedly more severe in consequences.
- Following an incident of discrimination on ethnic, religious, racial, gender identity or sexual orientation basis by a government agency, massive protests have broken out throughout the entity. Protests threaten to destabilize the entity and affect it to its core.
- After irresponsible government finances and dangerous speculation on the financial markets, the entity faces a massive recession.
- A wave of national pride and enthusiasm for the entity has resulted in strong support for and interesting in joining the armed forces[+10% on any military order in the next two weeks].
Tier 3 event: These events will affect a continent and are generally light.
- A heat or cold wave (depending on season) has overtaken the continent. The governments must take action to save the population from the consequences of the anomaly. Especially those weakest.
- A major multi-national criminal organization has caused havoc in multiple countries. Coordinated action is required to take them down as their network has grown too big to be fought by a single country.
- A major new movie has increased interest in the continent by foreign tourists. The additional income is a major boost to the governments. [The result from the next point roll is doubled]
Tier 4 event: These events will have a global impact and are more severe.
- A new virus has broken containment and through global travel has appeared in all continents. The virus does not respond to any known treatment and has a high infection rate combined with a long incubation period and significant lethality.
- A major disaster has hit a significant part of the world, a global effort is needed to rebuild.
- The integration and increase in global trade after a century of isolation has boosted all economic sectors, the world is finally reaching a state where economic development truly uplifts everyone. [Everyone gets 15 points]
Tier 5 event: The events have a global impact and if not stopped can be apocalyptic. As these events require the space system, they are currently locked. A roll of 100 will instead trigger a tier 4 event.
- The technological development and expansion of humans has not gone unnoticed, an alien expeditionary force recognizes Earth as a threat against their interstellar empire. The human entities must stop the force before they can contact their home.
- Long-range space-facing sensors detect an asteroid on a direct path with Earth. The asteroid is large enough that a direct impact could cause permanent ecological damage.